Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Taking It All In

I've noticed lately that i let the stress of the morning get the best of me. Our mornings are usually pretty crazy.  Katie having to at school by 7:15 (though she is on bed rest now) me meeting our Nanny at the right time at the right place, making sure we leave the house with lunches, shoes, jackets, hair bows, juice cups and passy's makes for a tough morning.  I feel like i'm always leaving or forgetting something. Anyway, i let the worries and frustrations of the morning distract me from treasuring the special moments.
But every morning without fail, regardless of how hard the morning has been, whether the girls woke up happy, grumpy or sleepy, got dressed with ease or fussed, once we are in the car on the way to school they are so sweet.  There have been hundreds of conversations from Jesus to jewlery, songs from Higglytown to Hillsong, a lot of hand holding, aliens in the back of the truck, and dissappearing daughters (though they really have their eyes closed). I will let the girls lean their heads on the door while their hair blows in the wind, get them 'special treats' on Friday's and let them to sit up front on my lap once we are on our street. Precious moments, that i will never forget, though i seldom take the time to rest in and enjoy.
Over the last couple of days, a couple of passages have really hit me that have got me thinking about how important it is for me to treasure this time and really take it in.   Last Sunday at church (Mother's Day) Greg focused on Luke 2:19 and 51.  Following the birth of Christ and when he was left in Jerusalem at the Temple, scripture says that "Mary, treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."  I am so task oriented that i approach the morning with a mental checklist: clothes, lunches, cups, shoes, nanny, starbucks (atlanta bread closed), church. check, check, check, check...working my way down the list. (Even though i'll pack a whole lunch and leave it on the counter).  However, this week i tried to treasure each moment of dropping them off.  I remember when i bought Katie's engagement ring, i looked at it 20 times a day because i treasured what it represented, i thought it was beautiful. So this week, when the girls would get out of the car i would replay their words, revisit their thoughts, delight in their joy, be amazed by their kindness towards one another and smile at their beauty.
I learned so much this week. I seriously fell in love with the girls all over again. I learned how to treasure things in my heart, to intentionally hold on to them and allow myself to be moved by them. I pray that you find yourself learning how to treasure even the frustrating moments this week and allowing yourself to take it all in.

5 comments:

JandK Walters said...

love i learn so much from you. i feel privileged to parent beside you. privileged and a lot of freedom, if i just sit back and smile at them our girls are going to turn into incredible women just because of how great of a dad they have...no i promise to check in and show up in our lives too treasuring each moment on even the most frustrating days.

kellybollman said...

oh wow josh, I'm excited for Monday morning for a whole new reason.
You're good at this teaching via the blog thing. Katie was right.

Pat said...

Josh-
This may sound like us older people say all the time...cherrish the times! Kids grow up so fast. I remember having to turn around and get 'pink monkey'doing whatever to get thru the morning. Conversations will change and a childs honesty will make you say..Hummm? You own is nothing like the youth..you can send them home, but you have to deal with your own. It hard when you child makes a good point and you have to agree with them, another Hummmm moment. Enjoy this time, you will never recreate it.

Nick said...

You are such a stud and a great Father. I am happy to be able to see that in you so that some day I will be as good as you. I am just a mere grasshopper.

Lets def. talk. I miss you guys. I HATE I cannot be there...BUT IN JULY...I am so excited to come back home. Talk to you soon.

jasonbradley said...

that is a good word Josh - thanks. jason