Saturday, May 10, 2008

Debbie


I love my mother-in-law. She came in town to spend some time with Katie Friday for Mothers Day. They went and got a manicure and pedicure and then went out to lunch. Which happened to be one of the funniest afternoons ever, I'm really hoping that Katie writes a blog about it. Anyway, Debbie wasn't coming to see me. Our interaction was minimal. She got here, came inside Katie showed her that halerous newlywed video clip, then they left. She was here all of 10 minutes.

While we were walking out, she had a story that she wanted to share with me. This pastor from L.A. had come to Seacoast in Charleston to preach. He felt called to preach since he was young while others discouraged him saying that it just wasn't his gift. So, he would go out and preach to the trees in his neighborhood. Different, i know. But i like it. He went on to preach about the healing by the pool in Bethesda in John 5. She told me about the man in this story who had been laying there by the pool for thirty-eight years watching person after person receive a miracle from the Lord, while he lay there waiting. She went on to say that that there is a gap between the things that we can accomplish and the things that only God can do. Our tendency is to close the gap by working hard and doing whatever we can, instead of depending on the Lord. Waiting, watching and trusting that he has not finished with us.
It doesn't matter whether it is three minutes inside my front door or three days at her house, she intentionally seeks out moments to affirm and encourage me. For along time i thought it was contrived, that she was just doing what mother-in-laws are supposed to do. But Friday, i realized how mightily the Lord is using her. She sees something in me that I don't see. She is committed to speaking truth into my life and to casting a vision of hope, perseverance, patience, power and rescue.

Happy Birthday Debbie. Thank you for the many ways you have selflessly loved, cared for and encouraged me.

3 comments:

inthemiddleoflife said...

Joshua, you are loved and God is faithful to complete what He has begun in you. This blog is confirmation for me to press on too, because the enemy really tried to keep me from hearing that Word on Wednesday. Now I know why he was trying so hard to keep me away. Looking forward to more "3 days" instead of 3 minutes!

JandK Walters said...

I love your heart for my momma and the way encouragment speaks to you. You are all she sees in you and more and He is so proud of the diciple that you are. I am proud to call you my husband and I love you. K

Jessi said...

jdub, you are a very good writer.