Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Shoulder Pads with Spikes

For the last few hours Katie and I have been in the Labor and Delivery Dept of Lexington Medical Center. We were at the mall today when Katie's contractions picked up real strong, she went to her doctor and they sent her over to the hospital. They have been tracking her for a while and it looks like everything is fine. Her contractions are still very strong but they have spread out a good bit.
Shortly after we got here they put Katie some medicine for pain. They were wanting it to put her asleep so that they could see if her contractions were caused by active labor or if it was irritability. After thirty minutes or so the fun started. Katie started waving her hands in the air forgetting there were other people in the room. Saying weird things while falling in and out of sleep. I remember this moment with AnnaJaye being a little more intense. For some reason the drugs have a way of letting a woman speak freely the thoughts she is having about her husband. Have any of you ever experienced this? Tonight, however, their was no hidden frustration towards me. She did not say anything like get away from me, why did you do this to me, i don't like your nose or that shirt is ugly. In fact, it was quite the opposite she fell asleep just for a second, then looked at me and pointed saying, "You have on shoulder pads with spikes on them, you really are a warrior." Realizing that this was not a logical thought and that i was not wearing shoulder pads i was confused as to who she was talking about. Was she talking about Abel? Or me? Then she said, no you, i saw you and you really are a warrior.
I remember when i got my wisdom teeth taken out. I was still pretty much passed out from the drugs but as Katie bent down to talk to me i grabbed her butt and barked. Several things wrong here. The first and most alarming is that i barked. Upon which i fondled her with my mom in the room. It was really unexpected and out of place.
I'm not quite sure why medicine makes us act that way. It doesn't seem right. Nonetheless, tonight the warrior is sitting patiently by his lovely wife awaiting the delivery of the man child, thankful that everything is ok.

4 comments:

JandK Walters said...

praise god i said that and that only, instead of come over here warrior and give me some...you know how the rest of that line goes! i am thankful you were by my side last night and seriously...we are not checking into the hospital again till we come home with a babe! i love you! K

Gore Family said...

I was such a sweet picture to see you by her side last night...just as patient as ever while she not so peacefully slept. I see such adoration towards her when I look at how you have been such a stable figure by her side. It's such a sweet gift to be able to walk through life with you two.
PS In the waiting room at the dr. office she said "You kinda picture with kid number three that you're picking cotton in a field and it kinda comes right on out" - No drugs and definitely a waiting room full of people.

Pat said...

AHHHH! No ABLE!!!
God said, "I know what I am doing. I have it all planned out.... Jer 29:11
So we wait patiently!
Love you both

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I can't help but laugh out loud about your barkin' and grabbin'. You dirtay rover.