Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ikea

Last Friday, i drove to Atlanta for the day to shop at Ikea in an effort to furnish our house. Since Katie has been at home on bed rest she has gotten a little stir crazy and decided sell some furniture and do some redecorating.  Great idea.  I was supportive.  Largely, because i did not think anyone would want to buy our crap. I just had no idea how addicted people are to Craig's List and that in a matter of days there would be people bringing checks by the house and leaving with furniture. It really is crazy.  Last night Bob and I delivered our bedroom suite to this girl who lives down town.  As we were carrying it out i realized that our furniture had been through five moves.  It was dinged up, dusty, scratched, the bed frame has been broken in thoroughly, and i was at a loss as to why someone, anyone, would ever want to buy it from us.  I think it is largely because of how we decorate or something, maybe it just looked good in our house, i don't know.  Needless to say, we carried it in quickly sat it down and hurried out. Thankful for the transaction.  Although it did feel weird carrying our furniture into someone else's house.
Anyway, we got a ton of stuff from Ikea.  It is mostly compressed particle board so i'll let you know later about it's durability. However, as for the price it can not be beat.  Shopping there is crazy because it is literally like a two story Wal-Mart with a Lowes attached.  You walk through two floors of room by room set ups and see all of this stuff you like. Bed frames, dressers, lamps, mirrors etc. all of which have stocking numbers on them that you write down.  Then you go into the Lowes type Warehouse and pull all of the items you like from bins.  I arrived at 1:30 and was the last one to check out at 9:45.  I felt like a woman and I didn't get home until 2:30. It was a tough day.  The next day when putting furniture together we noticed that one of the bed frames we pulled a queen headboard and footboard with full size rails.  I called Ikea, pulled out my receipt and noticed they also charged me twice for Katie's hutch.  I had a little trouble getting hold of them but when they called me back Friday, they found out what i needed and had it from Atl to my front door the next morning and they refunded the dresser to our debit card.
I was very pleased.  The store was overwhelming.  The furniture looks sweet. The customer service was solid.  You can check them out at www.ikea.com.

2 comments:

JandK Walters said...

I think you forgot to mention that we sold the furniture largly because of your wife's mad skills in advertising and our craigs list post: let me just let the readers in on how good it was-

Beutiful "Haverty's Look" dark wood Sleigh 5 piece Bedroom Suite. Like new condition, sacrifice 800.00 must go as a set.

I mean..really who is not going to buy that!

kellybollman said...

Katie,truly as soon as I am in the position to sell via craigslist and buy from ikea, you're my ad go-to girl.
And, thanks Josh for the website. I definitely wasted or "rested" for a good 30 mins while browsing.
haha