Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thankful (2)

I think I am pretty good at thanking people when they help me. It is easy for me to say thank you when Kevin brainstorms and plans a youth event, when Christi makes a brochure, when Joel cuts my grass, or when Bob buys me lunch (a weekly occurrence). I am seriously overcome with gratitude realizing that i could not or would not have accomplished what they did when they did it, had they not willingly given of themselves. For example, this week there have been 19 students volunteering all week long to help run kids kamp at church. They have been in acting roles, leading small groups, studying and preparing snacks (not that they have had to study to prepare snacks, but they have had to study lessons to teach and make snacks to eat) the week would not have happened without them. It is easy for me to see that and feel burdened to write them a card, call them and say thanks, or text and encourage them.
But here is my question or my struggle. How can i naturally see and express thanks to people who serve and care for me and so readily miss the everyday things worthy of thanks that make my life wonderful. For example, for the last two weeks, since Abe has been home, Katie has done a tremendous job. She has been breast feeding every three hours for two weeks now, which adds up to 112 times that she has had to be still and structure her time around feeding Abe. There is so much to be thankful for here, she has fought through the discomfort, disciplined herself to structure her time (day and night) around feeding Abe and saved us a lot of cash. Not to mention how special that time is between the two of them, that's 112 hours outside of non-feeding times that he has been held by his mother. Of course i am so thankful for that, but for some reason, i haven't thought to say, "Katie, thank you for being willing and committed to feeding Abe, it is such a blessing." Not that she told me to say that, but as we were talking about having him home and what the last two weeks had looked like, i had not even thought about the time, commitment and sacrifice of breast feeding.
I think this is a heart issue for me. Any idiot knows to be thankful when someone serves him. Who does not say thank you to someone who buys him lunch? I think this is the natural response for all of us. However, it takes a different mindset, a different heart, to process and think through the lives and actions of people in a way that you can see areas of sacrifice and service that you should be thankful for and acknowledge. The only other option is to believe that we deserve such treatment or service. It is so easy for me to overlook beautiful and selfless acts of service, things done by my wife, friends and the Lord. I love these words from Psalm 77, "I will meditate on all your works and consider all your mighty deeds." I pray that the Lord create in me and you a heart disciplined and passionate enough to meditate on his works, as well as the lives and actions of those around us, that our hearts may be full of thanksgiving.

3 comments:

JandK Walters said...

actually it is a joy and u make it that way by being so willing to give me that time with him and by hugely stepping it up with the girls so they are always cared for. it has been a pleasure to retreat to our little room with our awesome rocker, a sweet boy and sometimes even a husband who brings me a cup of coffee while making dinner and cleaning the house. i could feed 5000 more hours like that so thank u love and thank u for being thankful for me daily. i am thankful for u.

Jessi said...

listen - Nick is the best husband in the world, but you do win some kind of award for being thankful for Katie breastfeeding. Just this week Nick and I were talking and I was just whining about my life & being a mom of two and finally through some ugly tears I said, "Can you just tell me how good I am at breastfeeding!?", sometimes nursing moms feel like thats all they do or all they do well and it is really awesome to feel appreciated it for it:)

Okay - I know thats not what the blog is about, but I'm just saying - thanks for loving Katie so well.

Pat said...

Josh-
Have you ever thought of Thankfulness being an action word? I sometime think that a verbal thank you is necessary, but other times it is an action word. Taking care of those babies and being the best dad you know how to be is the biggest Thank you you can show. Those that give you stuff - Blankets- lol, are thankful that this child is doing well and God has given you 60-70 more kids to show Christ to. Does that make since to you? Take care of those babies for one day those babies will take care of you! When your kids are older and you have people come up and say...we love your kids, not that they don't now, or your kids are well behaved, then and only then you know your hard work is worth it and the biggest thank you comes from people you don't even know that well. The baseball coach, the teachers, the parent you may have a chance to share Christ with. This is your Thank you for us to you. Saying Thank you is not a card but two words spoken ever so often. Some people need it all the time, some do not.
Talk and take care of those kids!
love you both!